[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Via is making a list....(checking it twice?)

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:07 pm 

I've been contacted and I've seen other MKs being contacted to find email addresses that someone is collecting at Via. I specifically was asked for email addresses of other Via MKs that I have kept in contact with and their parents and I saw that happening on FB too. I have an inkling that this has something to do with abuse investigation but not sure...anyone know what is going on?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:50 am 

I have not been contacted and haven't heard anything yet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:22 pm 

We haven't heard anything either, nor has anyone I know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:36 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:25 pm 

@ViaWings: I received a letter today in my gmail account asking for, what I suspect, is the same thing you were asked. Seems something is moving down there in Anapolis, that apparently has yet to see the light of day from Sanford . . . .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:57 pm 

I see no reason why this letter can't be posted on the forum. I think the reason MNTB didn't post it is because they wanted it to be sent directly to each person so that it would be at least a little more personal and heartfelt. For any who didn't receive it personally but still wanted to read it, I'll post here. I'm assuming all the letters were the same?

Letter from MNTB
We have read what many have posted on the Vianopolis forum. It has taken us a while to process this, but we want you to know that we recognize that many of you suffered tremendous pain, and years of misery during your time at Via. As those currently responsible for the program at Via, we want to apologize humbly to you, from the bottom of our hearts. We want you to know that we grieve deeply for you, and we are seriously shocked, saddened and aghast at the amount of suffering that was a result of your having spent time at Via. This should never have happened to you and is not our purpose or desire for this school.

We realize that some of these experiences are only now beginning to be talked about as the memories come flooding in. How can we respond, and reach out to each of you who is hurting? What can we do to help alleviate your suffering and emotional pain? What can we do to help with the healing that you need at this time?

Plans are being made for a third party group to investigate the Via school. We have willingly made available the records that we have, in an effort to see the truth established about what took place at Vianópolis so many years ago.

We want to express to each one of you personally our apology, our indignation, and our grief for what you went through in a school that was meant for the care and education of MKs. Our desire is for each one to find healing. We hope you will accept this humble apology. We recognize that a letter like this is not the ideal way to express these things. We apologize for this as well, but we do want to express to you our heartfelt sorrow for all that you have suffered.

We want to express this to the parents and the former students who studied at the Vianopolis school between 1981 and 1994 but we are lacking a number of addresses. If you know of someone, maybe your brother, sister, parents or child, who should receive this and didn’t, if you have their contact information you can send it to us at: mntb@mntb.org.br

Sincerely,

the MNTB general and eastern field leadership teams

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:08 pm 

We also received an email asking for any emails of others we knew who might be involved in the MK abuse at Via. We did receive this same letter that "survivor" has posted on here. An apology -- 19+ years after the fact. I appreciated it but I think that Via needs to deal with the abusers (not just apologize for them). Sexual abusers in the U.S. are punished, spend time in jail, and have to register as a life time offender. Adult missionaries who abuse MKs should face the same - not just get a change in "ministry". The abusers should be reported to the national (Brazilian) authorities as well as U.S. authorities. How can abusers go on in ministry? Sin has a consequence and after such a hidious crime, the abuser should have to wear "the scarlet letter" (registered sex offender) in order to make others they may want to minister to aware of what has happened and have an opportunity to spare their children the pain of what the abusers have put so many through. Changing ministries and "blending in" as tho nothing has happened is NOT acceptable. I will fight4justice whenever I can.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:28 am 

This is SO much more than we have seen/heard on the US side!
Is it too early to rejoice?
Fight4right is so right also. (Did I get that name wrong?)
But it is a beginning?
Viakidsnowadults will have to decide.
Thanks for posting the letter to encourage us all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:29 am 

Sorry Fight4justice.
Got it now. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:26 am 

Maybe not time to bring out the kilts and dance in the streets with David, but I think this is really encouraging mb.