[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Depression

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Depression
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:16 am 

Hi all,

I'm sorry to have been gone for so long. I was hit with a wave of depression and needed to get help. So, I'm on meds now and starting to get back to "normal". I know many of my fellow Via friends have dealt with depression since leaving Via and let me say, you are not alone. Of course, over the last 2 1/2 years, life has been pretty stressful for us (lost our business and main source of income), so that doesn't help. I'm home schooling 3 kids, teaching Spanish and running a blog almost full time now, so life is busy and stressful. But I couldn't help but wonder if opening the door to all the memories helped kick it up a notch. The last time I dealt with such depression was when I first acknowledge that I was abused and had to get counseling to help me walk through the depression. I didn't realize how much the depression was affecting my life until I got on the meds and started to think clearly again! Depression hurts...hurts you, hurts your family, hurts your friends, hurts anyone you come in contact with. I was told to have NT pay for my treatments, then counseling I went through and meds, but I wouldn't even know where to start. Plus, I'm sure they could easily say that the depression isn't a result of the abuse, but the stress in my life. So, yeah...

So, if you are out there and have dealt with depression too. I know. I know what it's like. I know how you feel. I'm with you.

Love, Memories

Post subject: Re: Depression
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:05 am 

Memories, YOU are not alone, either. It is wonderful that so many people can be supportive of one another on these forums.

You are courageous to share your experiences and struggles - and you are also generous to do so as well, for by your openness others will gain confidence and courage.

Praying for you on this side of the globe!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:13 am 

Dear Memories - I'm glad you're back!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:01 pm 

NTM paid for my counseling and for my sister. I think it would be worth contacting child protection services about that. Glad you are doing better Memories. It's a process, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:58 pm 

Memories, I'm so glad you are doing better, and that you knew where to turn to get help. Seeking help from medication and counseling are evidence of a survivor getting their power back, I think. A very healthy thing to do. I am so glad you reached out for help, and that you're letting us know about your progress!
The connection between childhood trauma and mental and emotional struggles is one that has really interested me too. My own daughters have very deep, real issues with depression, anxiety, OCD, ADD, etc. I too, wonder how this connects to their molestation. Would they have had these challenges as adults, if they had NOT been molested as children? Or are these things caused, triggered, or exacerbated by the trauma they endured?
This question seems more important now, because if NTM if going to give financial assistance to MK survivors for needs they have that are results of their abuse, how does one determine which needs are connected to NTM's negligence? How can anyone prove that my daughter's adult ADD, for which she needs expensive medication, is a result of what Les Emory did to her when she was 6?
It would be very hurtful to me, if I approached NTM to ask for financial help for my daughters, if they would argue with me about the appropriateness of my request. If they construct a bunch of hoops we have to jump through, and especially if they deny assistance and make us feel like we're trying to take advantage of them unfairly, I will feel betrayed all over again.
It is scary for me to even think of approaching this issue, because I don't want to be hurt again. And I don't want my daughters to be hurt, by being made to feel that their needs are not legitimate, or that NTM doesn't really care about them enough to help them financially in their journey toward healing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:40 pm 

Raz, I can understand why you don't want to be hurt again or want your daughters to be hurt even more. I will pray that your daughters can be granted the help they need on their journey to healing. Life in this world is painful and some have endured more pain than I can comprehend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:58 pm 

Raz, psychologists understand the link between childhood abuse and adult depression, anxiety, and any other PTSD symptoms. I wonder if, with the "professional" opinion of a psychologist that that is what child protection services would need as "proof." I absolutely believe there's a link but I also know that many adults have other issues that are a result of bad choices or not healing from other issues in their lives that aren't exactly related to abuse. I would be glad to contact cpc about this if you would like?
Also, I know that cpc is going to be contacting past abusers to have them pay (financially) for whatever counseling their victims have had to go through. I don't know about medications and other things. I also don't know if Les Emory is alive or dead. In my situation, the abuser has said he feels it's important to pay for our counseling. It was only a matter of time before cpc would have been contacting him anyway. Cpc is handling the situation for us so that we nor my parents have to be involved in that part.
Let me know if you want me to ask cpc about this? I don't mind at all.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:09 am 

I'm wondering if NT has been paying for more counseling since this fall? Or are they waiting for lawsuits? I think the therapists in North America are getting rich from all of us!