MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:34 pm 

OT,

I beg to differ with you! Did you not see the post on NTM's website (after it came back up)? There is something "New"! Here it is:

Dated Oct 26, 2010:

Why has New Tribes Mission not pressed charges against alleged abusers?

The decision to arrest and charge abusers with crimes rests solely in the hands of authorities, not in the hands of civilian entities like New Tribes Mission. New Tribes Mission reports abusers and their crimes to authorities and has practiced this since 1993.

Impressive no? :?

Milk toast...pathetic.......

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:12 pm 

OT I now see your post acknowledging NTM's "New" response of 10/26..... I stand corrected :D

Feelings describing response to the NTM:

Disappointment
Disenchantment
Disapproval
Disillusionment
Disconcerted
Dumbfounded
Dissed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:08 pm 

The decision to arrest and charge abusers with crimes rests solely in the hands of authorities, not in the hands of civilian entities like New Tribes Mission. New Tribes Mission reports abusers and their crimes to authorities and has practiced this since 1993.

Wow.

Did anyone really stop and read this sentence and try to think how it comes across to abuse survivors and those who love them?

Wow.

Just stab me some more. Right here. Right here in my heart.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:20 am 

ornerythornery wrote:
MK Wife wrote (on the homepage):
"Stop giving him koodos and patting him on the back for silly little things he should have done from day one when he got the first phone call."
=======================================================================================================
OK.
He was silly for going to the authorities.
I was sillier for suggesting he do the same.
The silliest notion of all is that these predators might strike again in the towns where they live today.

What non-silly things might we do today?

In a silly way, I would suggest additional reading on your part as to Pavlov's dogs. I'm not suggesting Larry is a silly dog. I am suggesting that sometimes creatures can change behavior with the addition or subtraction of certain conditions.

Having said that, it's been 22 days since Larry went to Georgia. I'm unaware of any substantive act since then. So you are most correct to tell me to stop giving him "koodos" and patting him on the back. I would only ask that you reconsider your description of reporting crimes to law enforcement as "silly little things".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ OT, I do not, have not, and never will suggest or insinuate reporting crimes as being "silly little things" ever! I suggest you get yourself in check. I am not the enemy here and as you well know, much, especially tone, such as sarcasm, which I'm assuming you know a lot about by your posts, was lost in the text to my post. You misquoted me quite well. Was not aware every tiny thing would be scrutinized.

Plain and simple, Larry Brown has gone about this entirely wrong as well as the entire NTM organization/board. They are simply covering their own arses. Where have they showed they have put the abused first? When have they showed the abused is the main priority? There is a thing such as too little, too late. Every action completed is one to cover the trail of a bad decision. It is not, and never should be, the responsibility of any NTM MK, missionary, victim, child, student, to "hold the hand of Larry Brown or his board" and show them what is right and wrong and/or what to do next. Every time I have seen over and over Bonnie and Sherry, for example, asking repeatedly, "Where's the Fanda update?" It's as though they speak to an arrant child who pouts and stomps its foot as if to say, "I don't wanna give it. I'll give it when I want to." FaceBook for one should not be the message center for one. From the get go, a special email for the Fandas and abused, should have been opened only to them!

There have been several bad choices along the way dating back and covering 68 years. NTM's last thought was healing or reconciling with anyone, specifically their flock. They are no different than the Catholics. They hushed children, appeased families, used God as a tool, and moved pedophiles and abusers around with no concern but for their own reputation and keeping their eye on the prize of salvation.

You know as well as I do, along with everyone here, that neither Larry nor any of his board are doing everything within their power to make amends, to start reconciling, to begin healing. There are plenty of should haves which should have happened starting with Larry and his board creating a team for every school, base, training facility, and aviation field and having thorough investigations done by a neutral organization! Then, they should have sat at his nice desk with his list of abused and their families, and called each one and expressed his "deep regret" they keep boasting. A picture with a man and a tear and a few short paragraphs doesn't do much for me. Calling my parent doesn't do anything for me but say he doesn't respect me enough to call me himself and still considers me nothing more than a child. He should have closed all facilities down with children and stopped shop until investigations were done and started new with proper training and new personnel in place and a better understanding of how abuse is spotted and how it affects people. Many times I have sat and wondered if he really is the president of a multi-million dollar "business" because he certainly doesn't, and hasn't, acted professionally since he was in the field himself organizing the famous field committee meetings everyone was so fond of *insert sarcasm*. Did he have a hand in dishing out much of the abuse personally? Not that I'm aware except on a spiritual abuse level. But he is the president now and NTM is the organization. They are liable! They are responsible! For example, if a prison guard rapes an inmate, he is fired and the prison can be sued because the institution is responsible for the care and safety of the inmate!

Just as you, I am very passionate about all of this as it touches my heart in the deepest way. Ways many will never know. I will not back down but know this, OT, I will give Larry Brown credit when he starts acting responsible as a leader, which he is suppose to be, and do so consistently and not on a whim here and there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:03 am 

MK Wife,

Theif! You stole the words tight out of my mouth!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:45 am 

OT, I don't see an update on the (now resumed) NTM website more recent than 10/22. Did it disappear?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:57 am 

ok, finally found it. had to search for it though. "Fanda update" did not come up at first on my news page, prayer page, or anything I looked at.

You must be privy to the expanded, in-depth website! Don't want just ANYBODY seeing that Fanda Update, now do we!

(Your cynicism is rubbing off on me. Thanks a lot!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:46 am 

“In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing”
~Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:54 am 

OT, thank you for apologizing! Means very much to me.

I believe there are many who feel and think the same as what I posted. There is no shame in thinking these things! WE are in the right!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:24 pm 

Gene Long wrote:
Sir Ornery of Thornery,

I am glad, though not overly impressed, that NTM is finally doing the right thing. I have reported cases of child abuse to the police here in Thailand, and I was never in any fear of being arrested or in any doubt that they would work to resolve the cases in the best interests of the child and according to the law. These reports led to threats of retaliation against me, something that scared me, I admit. But, I was never afraid of the police. They weren't impressed by me, I don't think. I am probably more of a nuisance. But they were helpful and took their responsibilities seriously, even though they didn't know they were ordained of God.

I don't see any reason why it was an act of bravery for Mr. Brown to do the same as I did. The oft-lamented refrain on these forums is that law enforcement seems powerless to do anything about past crimes that were committed outside the US, not that one might get arrested for reporting them. Mr. Brown did not commit the crimes and he was taking steps to report them. How could he ever have been in any danger of arrest and prosecution? He only did his duty as a citizen. Why was it courageous?

Did he take in evidence to support the claims? If such evidence has not gone missing, I hope he would. But, that is not a noble act; it is his duty. His belated duty. His neglected duty. At this stage, withholding evidence would be brave, if foolhardy.

I am not detracting from the importance of the progress here. I am happy for it. It seems that Mr. Brown's eighty hour weeks are paying off for the Fanda Eagles, who, by the way, embody courage. I am ready to praise the Eagles at every opportunity, and to support the victims in every way. They are brave. They are courageous. They spoke up when they expected rejection and shame. Mr. Brown has been subjected to sleepless nights and Chinese water torture and intense public scrutiny and approbrium. He relented under pressure, and did what you suggested weeks ago. Good? OK, but nothing very impressive to someone on the outside looking in.

Perhaps I am just a little less euphoric about all of these events, because I am not personally involved and am way out of the loop in terms of information.

The latest update on the NTM website told us that "[t]he NTM leaders also hand-delivered letters to and spoke with local law enforcement officials where the men now live." It doesn't tell us what those letters said, or even to which local law enforcement officials they were delivered. It doesn't even tell us which NTM leaders made the pilgrimage.

I'm not casting doubt on it, but how do you know it was Larry Brown who did this? The NTM site didn't say it was.

You know which counties and which officials were contacted, and that the sheriff was impressed. How? Have you spoken to the sheriff?

Are you privy to the contents of the letters delivered to the "primary people"? To the law enforcement officials? If you say you are, and that you, as an attorney, were impressed by the quality and quantity of incriminating information they contained, I will take your word for it. I don't need to see copies for myself. I am just curious as to the source of your excitement.

Maybe if more information were in the public domain, some of us would perk up and feel free to join in the chorus of praise. Faint praise, but praise nonetheless, and probably a pretty welcomed sound in the halls of Sanford.

It remains to be seen how much good these measures are going to do for those whose existence has yet to be addressed by NTM. That, too, should temper our congratulations.

Mr. Long was not wrong. He was right. I got excited about the light at the end of the tunnel. Turned out to be a Ross/Sidebotham midnight express.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next