MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:18 pm 

viajaguar wrote:
mangotree wrote:
StaffKid wrote:
Who is this girl? I was there then. I'm scared to even find out.

Hey staffkid...her name was Carla.
Her mom was going through training at Ebenezer.
Then they went to a work in Alagoas.

Hey mangotree.....i remember her very well. We spent some time talking at the quadra.......i vaguely remember her telling a little of her story....and yes, she was abused. It tore me up when i got the news also.....very very sad.......the way she went.

I'd like to say that I knew Carla relatively well, but I spent a summer in the girl's lar (in Anapolis). Its the equivalent of Vianopolis but for the missionary kids of Brazilian missionaries. My sister and I stayed there and I learned from the dorm mom of the lar that the girls had mistreated Carla very badly (and possibly the old dorm parents, but I'm not sure of the details). They austrocized her from themselves and constantly gossiped about her. When she moved to Vianopolis she was continually treated the same way by the adults there as well. My mom never treated her that way even though we were living there at the time. I remember a day when she got beat up (in jealousy) by a neighbor girl. She was a very beautiful girl and with a great personality. Its possible people were very jealous of her. I don't know the extent of the abuse viajaguar talked about or how it came about but this was the factor I later saw... I remember looking at a picture of her and her best friend from Vianopolis. I always thought Carla was happy but then when I saw the picture I looked into her eyes and I saw such an incredible, deep sadness. I can't explain it. I knew something was deeply wrong. After Carla died, I was never explained anything by any adults, there was no real counseling. They just gathered us together and told us what happened. It was very sad. Later, her best friend, who boarded at Via, also tried to commit suicide. Its not surprising to me... since this best friend was also treated the same way at Via that Carla was treated in Anapolis/ Vianopolis. I feel later this aspect was better taken care of, though I don't know how completely.
My question is: where were the adults in this situation? When emotional abuse happens towards other mks by fellow mks, shouldn't this be stopped? If it isn't stopped, but is rather fed into by the adults... wouldn't this be considered abuse too?

So.... what about the voice of the Brazilian mks? There are many, many out there! Those who were mistreated by their dorm parents? Do they not have a voice or is this forum only for those who can speak English? :?:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:04 am 

findingwords: This is truly awful. It's so hard to imagine this went on and no one seemed to care or try to stop it. Brazilian MKs need to speak up also. You need to tell what you experienced so that MNTB will also see the need for change in their mission. You are welcome here on this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:48 am 

Perhaps a topic should be started in Portuguese. I've had people ask me where they can read or find out what's happening and I have to say it's in English only.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:03 am 

Quoting Survivor...
Anway, in recent years I read a book called "Threshold of Hope" which I would really recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about sexual abuse. The author (I don't remember her name) is a counselor who has counseled many sexual abuse survivors in her years of counseling.

Diane Langberg wrote "On the threshold of hope" That might be the book you are talking about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6