MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 pm 

They didn't refuse to give you any snack after school because you could not drink your chocolate milk at breakfast because it made you want to barf...oh wait that was my actual family and I was 8; man life is the pits when you are a kid who is given no voice. I cannot stand NTM's "don't question authority" brainwashing

*By the way, are you grading on how good the snack was or if they gave you any at all?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:07 pm 

Yeah, um, actual family stuff . . .well, life certainly was different even here in the States in the 70's . . .the backlash against the "hippies" made for some pretty strict parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, babysitters. How well behaved you were was a big source of pride for them . . .paddles were displayed, hung up proudly in kitchens . . .but weren't most of us in these straits . . .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:21 pm 

I beg to differ that all other snacks fade in comparison, A. Gwen discreetly and elegantly saved us all from starvation with her monkey bread and lemon honey butter - she´s take one look at us as we wafted in from our water, thin barely there vegetable soup and carrot stick supper right after volleybal or basketball and announce that we were having monkey bread for snack - thank heavens spreading dissension didn´t include what we said with our body language and thank heavens she knew how to read it. Understand, of course, that we still had plenty to eat in comparison with the rest of the world and the starvation here is very tongue in cheek - I think I´ve gone through worse hunger periods since, on the back roads of some far out place, but it felt like famine back then. Oh, what this generation doesn´t know about suffereing - do I sound enough like an old geezer already? :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:25 pm 

I had forgotten about A. Gwen's monkey bread . . .yum! But I remember A. Linda's cream-puffs after volley . . .amazing!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:56 pm 

I wish I had A. Faye's white chocolate fudge recipe. That was always my favorite. But, today, I would take a mango tree in my own back yard any day. I remember two of the girls being punished to their room for a week and us younger girls going to the mango trees to get them some mangos for a snack. Snuck them in the window, I believe. I wonder if they remember that? They were in the same grade as you, OrneryThornery

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:43 pm 

I do believe a perfect mango is truly a little taste of heaven. It's nothing short of perfection.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:57 pm 

Yes, especially the mangoes "stolen" from A. Velda's tree!!

Oh, but never eat the goiabas, unless they are green! (reasons obvious!!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:55 pm 

Sidenote: Panera Bread has a mango smoothie that is, I know, a pale imitation of what we encountered in Brasil, but it's good for what it is . . .a lembranca!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:56 pm 

I have had their mango smoothie and I agree, it's amazing. So good. Here's a little promo for Panera but they have their new "rewards program" now. You get a Panera card which they swipe every time you eat there or order there. Every 5th visit you get something free. You also get a free pastry when you register. Nice, if I have to eat somewhere, I'll go where I get rewarded.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:36 am 

When is the Via report scheduled to be ready?