MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:47 pm 

hurt-n-hopeful wrote:
I'm cleaning windows today at my house. I'm thinking about the Big Clean weekends at Via. Remember those? We would spend the ENTIRE day- at least 8 hours, cleaning those classrooms from top to bottom, dusting, cleaning windows, waxing the floor, fighting with that dag-gone buffer!! I remember one time, I cleaned the library, and I actually removed all the books off the shelves, dusted EVERYTHING, and then did my normal duties. It was Dry Season. Need I say more?! By Monday, you couldn't tell I had done a thing! I remember getting a bad review for my work and I was so discouraged!

On a lighter note, the same year, Trina Baden decided to "help" me wax the floor in the library. We had just gotten a new liquid wax. She wrote her name in graffiti near the magazine rack (where you could catch up on world news by reading TIME magazine!) on the floor, and within minutes, it was a permanent mark on the floor. Amazingly, "Aunt" Velda never noticed that one, but BOY (!) did I sweat that one out!!

Cousin, spread your good cheer on facebook and encourage people to get on here and at least encourage Countingthecost, as she will be interviewed by IHART very soon.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:05 pm 

Memories wrote:
Funny, I remember Chris Moore inviting me to the banquet to make Kristen Key mad! :)

1. You listened to the Smothers Brothers every Saturday morning while shining the red cement floors (Thanks to Trish).

2. You were given a boy's haircut when you got lice instead of having your long hair treated and were told that the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut was 7 days! (don't know if I ever got over that trauma!).

3. You slept out under the stars in hammocks and listened to Celinda tell you the "Rindercella" story one more time! :)

4. You rushed to get the lunchroom cleaned and get to devotional time so you wouldn't get in trouble for being late (even when your parents were visiting and wouldn't leave the lunchroom so you could get your job done in time).

5. Aunt Velda taught you wonders with creating corsages and butineers (sp?).

6. You never got to shower alone. So what if it was just a one person bathroom?

7. You depended on your friends to give you love, hugs and affirmation for it didn't come from the dorm parents! I couldn't ever figure that one out. If they were supposed to be a stand in for "our parents", then why did they not hug and encourage and comfort and...

8. You sat on the wall hoping that those ball hogging men would actually select you to play on their team during the last hour of volleyball because you knew you were a good setter, but even if they did select you, they wouldn't let you play much anyway as they shoved their way into your space. *My pet peeve those years there and I wasn't that bad of a player!

9. Blair Strickland was the cutest guy on campus. Didn't all the girls in the dorm have a crush on him?

10. You played Rook every single weekend!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:13 pm 

Memories wrote:
Funny, I remember Chris Moore inviting me to the banquet to make Kristen Key mad!

How to tell you are an ageing MK ;)

1. You listened to the Smothers Brothers every Saturday morning while shining the red cement floors (Thanks to Trish).

The Smothers Brothers now live in Sanford and are smothering . . . .

2. You were given a boy's haircut when you got lice instead of having your long hair treated and were told that the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut was 7 days! (don't know if I ever got over that trauma!).

You wish you had hair or if you do it isn't grey.

3. You slept out under the stars in hammocks and listened to Celinda tell you the "Rindercella" story one more time!

You might be Cinderella, but Prince Charming turned into your spouse and you always wonder what would have happened if you had kissed another frog.

4. You rushed to get the lunchroom cleaned and get to devotional time so you wouldn't get in trouble for being late (even when your parents were visiting and wouldn't leave the lunchroom so you could get your job done in time).

You've spent to much time in the lunchroom and not enough on the exercise machine, damn middle age spread!

5. Aunt Velda taught you wonders with creating corsages and butineers (sp?).

Oh those were the days, so many frogs to kiss.

6. You never got to shower alone. So what if it was just a one person bathroom?

Now there really is only enough room in the shower for one, due to (4)

7. You depended on your friends to give you love, hugs and affirmation for it didn't come from the dorm parents! I couldn't ever figure that one out. If they were supposed to be a stand in for "our parents", then why did they not hug and encourage and comfort and...

Nothing has changed, except your friends are now on Fanda Eagles and facebook.

8. You sat on the wall hoping that those ball hogging men would actually select you to play on their team during the last hour of volleyball because you knew you were a good setter, but even if they did select you, they wouldn't let you play much anyway as they shoved their way into your space. *My pet peeve those years there and I wasn't that bad of a player!

Oh what you'd give to be able to even get into those gym shorts and not stagger when getting on to a volley ball court because the old knees and hips are due for replacement.

9. Blair Strickland was the cutest guy on campus. Didn't all the girls in the dorm have a crush on him?

Oh the days of kissing frogs and hoping one of them would turn into Prince Charming and you'd sink into his arms. Look what happened, you've got your arms in his sink and are doing dishes.

10. You played Rook every single weekend!

Now the grandkids come over and play playstation and you spend hours on facebook looking at the exaggerated highlights and boring mundane excerpts of other peoples lives that somehow you managed to become facebook friends with and you wish you weren't so cynical and were playing Rook instead.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:41 pm 

Nothing has changed, except your friends are now on Fanda Eagles and facebook

This is the one that got me. It affects me to this day. Even my mother said something about me not being able to hug... I wonder why???

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:33 pm 

Because the ones who did hug were perverted! :cry:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:16 pm 

I was loved, hugged, and encouraged in my dorm. But now that I know what went on in the little dorm, it doesn't seem special. Just wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:14 pm 

Demostenes Dalai Mud Lama wrote:
still healing wrote:
Gwen Taylor was one of the very few advocates I had at Via. She was compassionate and protective of me while I was in the girls' dorm, and I thank God for her. She personally went to bat for me, and even though we didn't "win," I've never forgotten her support.

http://youtu.be/5m--ptwd_iI