MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:29 am 

I am afraid that my suspicion that there will be no letters of contrition or apology or anything else except maybe excuses.

My personal experience is that I took up NTMs offer of issuing an apology if I supplied my contact details to IHART. I have yet to receive a reply from NTM, not even a message to say that "we are currently traveling and will get back to you as soon as we get back from our trip".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:34 am 

P.s.

From another thread, this is the letter of contrition that I' most welcome:

Quote:
Dear Victim,

I am writing this letter from jail. I have had much time to contemplate the wise words of the judge at my sentencing about the hurt that I have caused by my criminal actions.
Initially I was very angry that NTM turned me over to the law enforcers and insisted that I be prosecuted. But I now realise that this was the only thing that would stop me from my paedophile ways and that the price I am now paying for my sin is only a minor compensation for the amount of hurt that I have caused you, my family, others and God.
Please feel under no obligation to forgive me, I am totally unworthy to even ask for forgiveness. I know I will struggle with my paedophile tendencies for the rest of my life, such is the nature of my perverted condition. I am availing myself of the counselling that has been offered and I spend much of my time praying that God will comfort and help all those that I so badly hurt.
You have every right to hate me and be hurt for what I have done.
I am truly, truly sorry for what I have done.

Prisoner X

And I'd also like to see the word "bitter" dropped out of NTM vocabulary when referring to victims. The appropriate word is "hurt", which is a perfectly reasonable emotion when considering the amount of damage caused.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:22 pm 

Cagey Mango wrote:
And, no - I've received no letters of contrition to date.

It's not that I would expect any abuser to be remorseful, repentant and humble to the degree that a letter of contrition would actually bring some healing. If an abuser were truly contrite, an attempt to tell their victim how truly sorry they are would have happened long before the NTM EB asked them to do it.

But the arrogance of these child abusers who even now REFUSE to acknowledge the pain they caused, REFUSE to write a letter of any kind, even a fake apology, just makes me sputtering furious!

If we needed any further proof that this so-called investigation is a sham, initiated by New Tribes Mission, not to bring healing to abuse survivors, but to protect their own organization and create an expensive PR facade .... this is the proof, right here.

There is no energy behind the "disciplinary steps" the NTM leaders assured survivors would be taken. No force propelling the consequences to these missionaries who wounded innocent children so terribly.

It is like the doting parent who assures Mrs. Miller that they will discipline Johnny for throwing a rock through her window, and then takes Johnny out for ice cream instead.

Wake up, New Tribers. Wake up and see the arrogant, blatant failure to follow through here.

NTM leaders have clearly shown how they feel about MKs who were subjected to abuse at a criminal level, who have suffered in silence for many years, and who now have spoken out and asked for some justice.

Words mean nothing. Your actions have spoken. We hear you loud and clear.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:48 pm 

SimplyVIA wrote:
I have more to post, but my hands (and heart) are cramping up. More later...

SimplyVia and Raz,
I have been off-line for a while, and am just catching up on what has been happening. I have read only a few posts, and what the two of you have done takes my breath away - literally - I had to take a break after reading the first posts in this string. Your courage in posting these documents, including names, runs deep. It is no wonder your heart (and not just your hands!) was cramping up, SimplyVia. You, Lori, and the others who make up this Fanda Eagles community are warriors at great cost to yourselves.
And now I am going back to reading.
Beverly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:56 pm 

Thank you so much, Beverly.

Your support means the world to us.

(Insert heart icon.) :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:09 pm 

Bemused wrote:
Raz wrote:
hurt-n-hopeful wrote:
I don't think there is much that could prevent any of the Vianopolis perps from being on facebook. This is what annoys me about this whole investigation, thorough as it may have been. Basically, the only consequences these perps will face is a slap on the hand from NTM (which won't mean much if they don't work for them anymore), loss of reputation (maybe only because it is made somewhat public here), and having to contribute $ to the MK counseling fund (and who can enforce that?!) There is no legal recourse at this point, unless one of these perps gets caught abusing a child in the present day and goes to jail.

I think that is a very accurate summary, hurt-n-hopeful.

Consequences to these missionary child abusers amount to nothing more than a slap on the hand from NTM. Loss of reputation? Questionable. NTM is doing a good job of keeping the lid on this scandal, so most people who look up to these aging missionaries will never know the sins they are hiding. And I see no way of enforcing the "So-and-so is being asked to contribute to the MK Counseling Fund" line. So that is just lip service, I expect, so that NTM can say they mentioned it.

I used to wonder why older MK abuse survivors from other missions who had already been involved in the struggle to get justice seemed to be more frustrated and angry with the mission board than they did with their actual perpetrators.

I don't wonder anymore.

Can't for the life of me figure out why there is not outrage about what each paedophile has done, by those who are responsible for having them in their midst. They have done tremendous damage to the children they abused, who are the children of co workers, friends and actual parents. They have dented the credibility of their respective missions, churches and even the gospel itself.
Yet few seem to raise much vocal concern and that puzzles me.
However, how many non offending missionaries were dismissed or asked to leave for theological differences? And this is where the priorities seemed to be all wrong.
In secular society sexual offending against children is treated as a serious crime with serious consequences, but in too many religious groups it seems to be acceptable for their to be little outrage or even concern. Until it destroys the life of someone very close and even then blind eyes are sometimes turned.

It is beyond my comprehension.

Yes!!! I have been wondering for a very long time: where is the outrage?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:43 pm 

Bemused wrote:
http://www.ice.gov/about/offices/homeland-security-investigations/

ICE are the group who intercepted Scott Kennell. Everything that crosses the U.S. border is under their jurisdiction, this includes the activities of U.S. citizens who go overseas and engage in unlawful activities and images that are transferred electronically. They have considerable powers and will use them.

While someone named by NTM, IHART or any other investigating team as a sexual abuser/offender should not be on Facebook, I think unless there is a conviction then it is a legal grey area.
However bringing ICEs attention to individuals named in investigations is a positive move, after all NTM has stated that they report their findings to law enforcers (bearing in mind that there are many branches of law enforcers, each with different interests and powers).

Perhaps the matter would be best referred to Facebook or someone with legal expertise in such matters.

If you'd like, contact Shary Hauber at sharyhauber@gmail.com and she can provide some useful information re. contacting ICE. And I'm sure she'll also refer you to a Facebook site to continue the discussion if you're interested.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:00 am 

Where is the outrage?

This week my outrage just fizzled in a puddle of despair--

Feeling hopeless, helpless

Just want to walk and keep on walking.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:09 pm 

Tambo MK wrote:
I have a stronger impression of IHART than it seems others do here.

I think they did a thorough investigation. If I were them, I would be feeling the same frustration many of us are feeling with NTM at this point; IHART can't force NTM to do anything. They can investigate, reveal information, and present it to NTM with a suggested course of action ... but ultimately it's on NTM to act. We've already seen through the documents posted here that NTM virtually rejected or downgraded all of the recommendations; that has to be enormously frustrating. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but they should follow the example of Bob Jones University, hold a press conference, and throw it all out there for the world to know! Instead, they're not informing supporters or churches and minimizing it to their own people.

IHART agreed to the Terms and Conditions that are governing the distribution of information, including to alumni of the school who didn't report to the investigative team. They had enough experience that they should have recognized the red flags.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:07 am 

Tambo MK wrote:
Without all supporters notified, there are a couple major ramifications ... one, it does not recognize those supporters as partners in the ministry, and therefore having the right to be made aware of the sin that happened in their partner, and secondly, perhaps more significantly, it leaves the door open for those supporters to unknowingly continue to support an abuser if they switch to another ministry, in retirement, etc., or welcome them back to their churches and communities with no idea of the terrible sins committed in the past.

Another consequence is that children and vulnerable adults in the families who host missionaries are put at risk. Most definitely there are credible reports of missionaries who have abused children while the missionaries were travelling to raise support.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next