MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:05 am 

Cagey Mango wrote:
I think it is a valid point that others see the results of the report, both the findings and the recommendations - so they can know whether they want to cooperate with investigations into their schools. However, the reports are highly specific and would instantly reveal victims if they were to be published as is. The reports also only address the specific individuals a victim provided info on, so each report is incomplete.
For victims on the waiting list of schools to be investigated, this might be useful - whether it will be worth their spent time & emotions to cooperate with IHART.

"The reports are highly specific and would instantly reveal victims if they were to be published as is."

This sentence is EXTREMELY troubling to me!!

What is going on here?

I am no longer calling for NTM to publish the report on Vianopolis until we figure out what has happened.

NTM has been insisting that they won't publish the IHART report because of concerns for the privacy of the victims. The above quote from CM may reveal the reason for their concern. Has the report been written in such a form that victims feel exposed? If this is true, then I suggest that the problem may lie in the report itself, in the way it was written. I have previously mentioned several other non-NTM reports investigating abuse which I felt did protect the privacy of the victims. If Via MKs feel that their identities would be instantly recognized by readers of the report, then perhaps the report itself is fatally flawed!!

Was this done intentionally, as a way to avoid public release of the report?

Or has something else gone terribly wrong?

I am very, very concerned about this. We need to figure this out, together.

Figure it out now, before we proceed any further down this road. As CM has pointed out, this process is being repeated. Currently the IHART investigation of Panama is winding down (or has finished ... I don't know), and the Tambo investigation is ongoing. NTM is promising other investigations in the future.

Panama and Bolivia MKs ... if you have a concern that your report will be highly specific and will instantly reveal your identity if published, then the time to speak up is NOW!!!

YES! You have a right to speak up! We are no longer children! If these investigations are being done for the sake of the wounded MKs, then the wounded MKs have the right to help guide the process!

If the investigations are not actually being done to help the MKs, but are in fact simply efforts to protect the mission, its reputation and its revenue, while spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to bungle the job, then it is time to let the world know that that is what is happening!!!

Color me livid.

Again.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Possibly someone could redact the report.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:05 am 

What color is livid?
Could it be purple?
If you need help,
I would be glad to join you
In working on this…….

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:21 pm 

Raz wrote:
Cagey Mango wrote:
"The reports are highly specific and would instantly reveal victims if they were to be published as is."

Can I rephrase? Parts of the report are specific (one section quoted my statements verbatim), which could make it easy for the victim could be easily identified. I do not want to misrepresent anything, and should have been more careful with my choice of words.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:59 pm 

Yes, of course you may re-phrase, CM.

All of us understand that when one is feeling strong emotions about something, one may not always be absolutely careful in one's choice of words.

I know I am certainly guilty of this.

But I will let my words stand. Because they DO reflect my state of mind. Our words are coming from the depths of our hearts. Depths where very intense feelings and opinions lie. My strong emotions reflect how deeply invested I am in the issues we discuss here.

But yes, you may re-phrase, and I will not copy your earlier statement again.

(Second guessing and self-correction are also deeply ingrained in the NTM MK psyche. At least I know they are ingrained in mine. This too, I get.)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:45 pm 

Raz wrote:
threewillows wrote:
Do we really think that the people found through the IHART investigation into Via, Panama, etc. only abused during that time period there in Via, Panama, etc? What about their time in bootcamp, language school, maybe on staff here Stateside? We are still keeping secrets for NTM! What about the person who is struggling because NTM is only "investigating" the boarding schools and they were abused in Nursery/Toddlers at bootcamp, language school or even at NTBI or they know of such abuses.

This concern has been brought up over and over on this forum.

It seems to have fallen on deaf ears in NTM-land.

Scott Kennell is an example. Is anyone really naive enough to think that the handful of Indian girls he admitted abusing were the ONLY victims that man ever had?? Get real!! A person doesn't just wake up one morning and say to themselves, "I am going to commit lewd acts with these indigenous girls, film them, and share them on the internet."

NO!!! There had to be a progression of inappropriate acts that led up to this! When did it start? In high school? In Bible School? Boot Camp?

Every place that a victim from his past might potentially be today should have been reached with the word of this man's crimes. How many struggling adults are out there now, still thinking they must be the only one this man ever wounded. Thinking they are alone, no one would believe them, and no one cares.

New Tribes Mission, do not pretend that you care about abuse victims, if you don't care enough to spread the bad news, in an attempt to find the little lost lambs caught in the brambles of secrecy and solitude.

Don't even pretend.

Has anyone had an answer from NTM as to what assistance they have provided for Scott Kennels victims? The only answer I got was that there would be an answer.

Almost all paedophiles progress up the scale of offending. I doubt Scott Kennell was any variation to this. He is unlikely to admit to more than he was charged with, therefore the responsibility is on his employers to do a thorough check of all children he came into contact with. Not to do so is negligence.
But I've been down this road before. I spent considerable periods of time with a jailed NTM paedophile, yet no one from NTM bothered to ask if I was o.k. What they did was deny he was even in jail! Instead saying he was on mental health leave.

And where are those offenders who were shuffled off their respective fields, now? And what are they up to? They still have their offending bits of anatomy and the same mindset, with a message in their perverted brains that nothing serious will be the consequence and that they can always move on if the water gets a bit warm.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:32 pm 

Raz wrote:
That being said, I will add that I have received privately the names of the Vianopolis abusers.

I can post those, if that is what the Via survivors want.

I would like to see the names of the abusers and the leaders posted. It will eliminate the speculation that I'm sure must be going on in a lot of minds. I would also like to know what actions were taken.

While I am not one of those directly affected by the investigation, I grew up in that environment, and our family suffered from the systemic emotional and spiritual abuse of NTM.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:16 pm 

Raz wrote:
That being said, I will add that I have received privately the names of the Vianopolis abusers.

I can post those, if that is what the Via survivors want.

Or if there is a Via survivor who would like to do that themselves, I think that would be a very courageous step to take. Like I said, you can re-word everything, and only post what you are comfortable posting. That might also help ease the restrictions of the "confidential" threat that is on the pages of your report.

I will wait a bit to see if anyone responds.

Cagey Mango wrote:
I think it is a valid point that others see the results of the report, both the findings and the recommendations - so they can know whether they want to cooperate with investigations into their schools. The reports only address the specific individuals a victim provided info on, so each report is incomplete.

Perhaps Raz would agree to be a point person - to whom we could send any info we are comfortable sending? We might get enough to compile an almost complete report, and that way others could more accurately evaluate IHART's reporting process, as well as NTM's response.

For victims on the waiting list of schools to be investigated, this might be useful - whether it will be worth their spent time & emotions to cooperate with IHART.

Raz wrote:

Yes, I am open to being a point person. The PM feature here works very well for private communication.

I will wait a few days and see what comes to my PM box. I have a busy weekend planned and will actually be off line for part of it.

Update: I have not received any PMs with further info from Via survivors.

As those of you who received a report know, they are individualized, and contain information gaps. More detailed information as to consequences to abusers is given only to the ones abused by those particular abusers.

I know there is anxiety about your identities being detectable. I would prefer to see a compilation of information, as a way of protecting your privacy. Again, the details of the abuse you suffered are not what we are seeking. The names of the abusers, the general type of abuse committed, the consequences recommended by the Recommendations Panel, and the consequences actually imposed by NTM - that is the information I feel can be made public while still protecting the privacy of victims.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:44 pm 

For those of you that have your reports and are wondering what you can share:
Quote:
You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better. - Ann Lamott

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:41 pm 

Why does this feel different than other people's abuse stories?
Quote:
Crucial to understand: In non-mission field settings, the child and the family have options for outside contacts; these options increase their independence from the abuser, their control over what subsequently happens to them, and gives them the freedom to escape. These characteristics may help lessen the potential severity of the impact of the abuse itself.
The increase in dependence and vulnerability that comes from living in another culture, being educated separate from one’s parents, and being part of a closed system contributes to the degree of trauma that children abused on mission fields experience. Greater traumatization generally means more intense and longer-lasting aftereffects. This requires greater sensitivity and mindfulness on the part of the church as it responds to individuals bringing allegations.

From the a Final Report of the Independent Abuse Review Panel Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next