MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:06 am 

I think this has gone off-topic a bit, but I just wanted to add something about finding counsellors. (Maybe we need another discussion board for getting help?)

I did a year-long course in General Counselling (A Christian model of Counselling) with the Australian Institute of Family Counselling (AIFC). This does NOT qualify me to be a counsellor, by the way!

It was a Christian course, but drew from "secular" models. The belief is, "All truth is God's truth". No matter that an insight was made or research was done by an atheist or an evolutionist. If it's true, it's of God. AIFC tries to take a balanced approach, integrating Psychology, Theology, and Spirituality.

The reason I say all this? I think "secularly" trained counsellors are good value and can be very helpful. On the other hand, lay-Christian counsellors can possibly do more harm than good. A Christian counsellor who has filtered their training through a Biblical worldview has the potential to add a spiritual and Biblical-theological dimension to their counselling model. This can be helpful.

All counselling models have their drawbacks and failures. I think a broad knowledge of different models makes for a good counsellor.

In the end, however, the client-counsellor relationship is one of the key aspects of successful counselling.

And we must not forget the work of our Master Counsellor.

End ramblings. If there is another discussion specifically regarding finding help, I may contribute in a more lucid manner.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

Naomi Cleaves wrote:
is there anyone else out there who was raised at fanda who cant dance, raise their hands in church to worship or even sing in church? is there anyone who has struggled with praising there kids and being sympathetic when they get hurt? who feels guilty and rebelious about a glass of wine? who is ashamed of there body? who believed (or believes) that they could never be good enough for God? who thought that anything bad that happened to them was a direct result of something that they themselves did. even that every bad thing that was happening in the entire world could be traced back directly to me and my sinfullness? did (or does) anyone else feel ashamed to call themselves a christian because they knew they were not perfect and didnt want to be a hipocrit? i could go on and on. i especially want to know if anyone else feels the same about dancing and wine. my husband alwayse wants me to dance and i cant.
Naomi Cleaves

Naomi. I can relate to all of the above.
I can dance now, with my kids... I have not done so in public yet, except one time, in the dark, at a drum circle. I'm not sure what the block is about that, except that I was told once by a dorm mother that I would become a lesbian when she caught me dancing in my room... I mean, I know I'm not a lesbian, but the way her words made me feel when she said them... that is what I feel now too, even though I know it's so irrational.
I do not have a problem with wine, except that I don't drink it because it gives me headaches. (I don't know if you remember, but I spent that last year at Fanda pretty much drunk every day... so obviously even then I didn't have a problem with drinking. :) )

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:57 am 

Bonnie wrote:
Naomi Cleaves wrote:
is there anyone else out there who was raised at fanda who cant dance, raise their hands in church to worship or even sing in church? is there anyone who has struggled with praising there kids and being sympathetic when they get hurt? who feels guilty and rebelious about a glass of wine? who is ashamed of there body? who believed (or believes) that they could never be good enough for God? who thought that anything bad that happened to them was a direct result of something that they themselves did. even that every bad thing that was happening in the entire world could be traced back directly to me and my sinfullness? did (or does) anyone else feel ashamed to call themselves a christian because they knew they were not perfect and didnt want to be a hipocrit? i could go on and on. i especially want to know if anyone else feels the same about dancing and wine. my husband alwayse wants me to dance and i cant.
Naomi Cleaves

Naomi. I can relate to all of the above.
I can dance now, with my kids... I have not done so in public yet, except one time, in the dark, at a drum circle. I'm not sure what the block is about that, except that I was told once by a dorm mother that I would become a lesbian when she caught me dancing in my room... I mean, I know I'm not a lesbian, but the way her words made me feel when she said them... that is what I feel now too, even though I know it's so irrational.
I do not have a problem with wine, except that I don't drink it because it gives me headaches. (I don't know if you remember, but I spent that last year at Fanda pretty much drunk every day... so obviously even then I didn't have a problem with drinking. :) )

I think I went a slightly different route after leaving fanda!
dancing? I did ALOT more than that. Its surprising that Im alive.Really.
As for my kids....This is where I really get upset.
Praising my kids? yeah, right. Being sympathetic when they get hurt? Ive never been sympathetic towards anyone,especially myself.
Good enough for God? Never cared, god is the guys who punishes you . And dont let him find out that you enjoy something, it will be gone in a flash!
These are all things that have affected my kids because I thought I was normal.
Im pissed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:35 am 

emh wrote:

I think I went a slightly different route after leaving fanda!
dancing? I did ALOT more than that. Its surprising that Im alive.Really.
As for my kids....This is where I really get upset.
Praising my kids? yeah, right. Being sympathetic when they get hurt? Ive never been sympathetic towards anyone,especially myself.
Good enough for God? Never cared, god is the guys who punishes you . And dont let him find out that you enjoy something, it will be gone in a flash!
These are all things that have affected my kids because I thought I was normal.
Im pissed.

emh, If you read my story in the stories section you will see that i also did "alot more than just dance" It was when i decided to recommit my life to God that i became confused about all the rules. Like drinking. I do drink wine a fare bit but i often feel guilty. I dont think i drink too much and my drinking doesnt cause any problems but because i was taught that "good christians" dont drink i feel guilty...