MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:01 pm 

Tambo MK wrote:
Sherpa Dude wrote:
I know Tambo doesn't exist in it's former role as a boarding school...but, the experiences need to be told. If you knew a bridge was washed out, would you try to warn the next oncoming driver? There are other schools in existence that could benefit by you telling your stories...just sayin'.

And the reality is, when one MK school shuts down, a lot of the staff/teachers and practices/attitudes just transfer over to the other schools still remaining.

Transfering to other schools is a scary thought. And they didn't transfer only after a school closed...they were also transfered (some of the times) when they got in trouble and instead of punishing them, terminating them etc. they sent them to another school where they could repeat the offence.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:37 pm 

Not only a scary thought but makes me ill.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:58 pm 

dbarney wrote:
Transfering to other schools is a scary thought. And they didn't transfer only after a school closed...they were also transfered (some of the times) when they got in trouble and instead of punishing them, terminating them etc. they sent them to another school where they could repeat the offence.

"Etc" above could include reporting the perpetrators to the authorities in the country where the offense occurred, something that was never done, and which NTM still refuses to unequivocally commit to doing in the future. Why?

In terms of learning something from the past, this seems to be an obvious lesson.

Andy? Tibby? Larry? Naaman?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:29 am 

Sherpa Dude, how can you remember the words to the Tambo almamater? I couldn't have remembered the first words to that song, but as I read it it all came back. How about the Bienvenidos song we sang too. I remember most of that one but there is something missing in what I remember of it.

Seems like everyone has kind of left the Tambo forum--maybe just observing, or maybe thinking that they don't see progress, maybe not wanting to say too much for fear someone may be able to identify them, maybe not wanting to stir up old memories. I check the site regularly, but rarely post, what can I say. I laugh over the good memories, I cry over the others, such mixed emotions. What a strange way to grow up and think it is totally normal until you grow up and realize it is not normal at all. Thanking God, he moved our family out of New Tribes to another field of ministry where I learned Billy Graham wasn't the antichrist and that the legalistic, humorless, judgemental, and unloving pharasees of NTM were not the type of followers Christ wanted. What a relief to be out from under that burden and what an enlighting experience to see loving followers of Christ who accepted me as I was. Believe me, having been born in NTM and then moving out of NTM during my high school years it was truly an eye opening experience.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:53 am 

Sherpa Dude wrote:
I have a perverse memory that zeros in on songs...I can remember the theme son to Bonanza and play it note perfect...like THAT'S ever going to save my life!

It's not a perverse memory, Sherpa Dude. It's a gift! As one who was passed over for musical gifts, or maybe I should say as one who hid his musical talent in the ground, I envy you!

Keep singing, Brother!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:43 pm 

Bien Venido, Bien venido, los hermonos de aqui. nos --- en decir, bien venido, bien venido. nos graciamos en decir, bien venido

I probably have it at home. I've returned to Bolivia 3 times in the last 15 years and came back with song books etc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:31 pm 

I've got it "nos gozamos en decir"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:28 pm 

Tambo MK wrote:
I think I share some of Tambo Graduate's reservations, maybe or maybe not for the same reasons.

My worry is that this site becomes just a place to vent or complain, in which case it ends up doing more harm than good. However, if it's a place where we can identify a group of voices willing to speak up through the telling of their stories here, then an actual effort could be made to confront NTM about its handling of abuse issues, or about abusers still on the field. If the later is the case, than for me it's certainly worth speaking up.

Just because Tambo is no longer a school or even owned by NTM doesn't change the responsibility to deal with the abuse that happened there over the years, the responsibility to correct the missteps taken in handling abuse there, the responsibility to the abused from over the years, and the responsibility to confront abusers who are on or off the field.

I'm glad that you have joined the forum and are sharing your thoughts, you are entitled to them, however, I completely dissagree with your speculations on this site is just a place to whine and complain, I've been reading and reading on these forums and there are many that have come out and recieved much support, encouragement and help in feeling they weren't alone. I for one certainly have. So, although there is a lot of 'whining and complaining' not all of it is just that, and sometimes complaining is how people communicate and get their stories out. If the Tambo MKs don't want to come out and talk, that is their perogative and they certainly must have their reasons. None of us can know what they have gone through or what is going on their lives, so no judgement on the quiet ones, but this site IS a healing and helpful place for many, even if it isn't for you.

Please keep posting, one thing many of us have learned on this forum is that even the opinions in opposition to ours help. They help us reflect or help us stand firm with our own convictions. This site can be what you make of it, whether or not NTM does the right thing or not, many need a place to come together after all the abuse that happened and I do believe this is that place for many.

Thank you for your courage in coming and speaking out for your group. I'll keep you and your Tambo MK friends in my prayers and thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:02 pm 

I have continued to write e-mails to GRACE, Tibby and Andy along with FB and calling class mates.

Beleive me. Being silent on here doesn't mean that we aren't PUSHING in other ways. Would I give up my years overseas? ABSOLUTLY NOT. But do I want to see justices and closure for all my "co-students" and "co-classmates?" (there are some new words!) I really, really do. I see and hear a lot of pain, hurting and suffering that shouldn't ever have happened.

Hang on. Remember what we were drilled with. "If you do good works but aren't right with God, it is for not."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 pm 

MK in the USA wrote:
Tambo MK wrote:
I think I share some of Tambo Graduate's reservations, maybe or maybe not for the same reasons.

My worry is that this site becomes just a place to vent or complain, in which case it ends up doing more harm than good. However, if it's a place where we can identify a group of voices willing to speak up through the telling of their stories here, then an actual effort could be made to confront NTM about its handling of abuse issues, or about abusers still on the field. If the later is the case, than for me it's certainly worth speaking up.

Just because Tambo is no longer a school or even owned by NTM doesn't change the responsibility to deal with the abuse that happened there over the years, the responsibility to correct the missteps taken in handling abuse there, the responsibility to the abused from over the years, and the responsibility to confront abusers who are on or off the field.

I'm glad that you have joined the forum and are sharing your thoughts, you are entitled to them, however, I completely dissagree with your speculations on this site is just a place to whine and complain, I've been reading and reading on these forums and there are many that have come out and recieved much support, encouragement and help in feeling they weren't alone. I for one certainly have. So, although there is a lot of 'whining and complaining' not all of it is just that, and sometimes complaining is how people communicate and get their stories out. If the Tambo MKs don't want to come out and talk, that is their perogative and they certainly must have their reasons. None of us can know what they have gone through or what is going on their lives, so no judgement on the quiet ones, but this site IS a healing and helpful place for many, even if it isn't for you.

Please keep posting, one thing many of us have learned on this forum is that even the opinions in opposition to ours help. They help us reflect or help us stand firm with our own convictions. This site can be what you make of it, whether or not NTM does the right thing or not, many need a place to come together after all the abuse that happened and I do believe this is that place for many.

Thank you for your courage in coming and speaking out for your group. I'll keep you and your Tambo MK friends in my prayers and thoughts.

I think you might be reading too much into what I was saying; I think the support is good. But I do want this to be a place that spurs people to action, brings awareness that it wasn't just a few kids impacted but that there was a lot of injustice done and it still needs to be addressed. I definitely don't think anyone is whining, but if all we do is vent and don't take the next step of contacting NTM or Grace or whoever, then ultimately I don't think we're doing what we should be doing.

I don't think MK's from Tambo are staying silent or hiding, I think they just don't know about the site. I stumbled here because of a magazine article, not because one of my fellow Tambo-ites pointed me here, and then I saw all the posts calling out Tambo mk's for not speaking up and had a defensive reaction of wondering why people thought I was trying to cover stuff up when I didn't even know about the site. Don't assume we all know about the place, it's only spreading by word of mouth and that's a slow process at times. : )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next