MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tambo MKs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:16 pm 

Excellent post. Thanks for speaking up! It's great to have you here!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:25 pm 

Thanks, Raz. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:15 am 

SurprisedbyJoy:
Crying. Our kids are in those Kantutas.
You have summarized well.
Welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:33 pm 

I am in those Kantutas with my siblings, yes our faces did change and we were taken out for a while and home schooled!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:43 pm 

NTM Child,

I have it on a very reliable source that the abuse can be documented back to 1959 in Tambo. This is shocking, considering the first MK school started in 1957 if I have my history right.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:10 am 

surprisedbyjoy -- your post was well thought out and honest. We are who we are today because of the adversity we faced. A father who stood behind me and taught me to stand up for what is right is one of the blessings of my life. He also encouraged me to believe I could be anything I chose and succeed in life. There was no pressure to be the perfect NTM child and follow the New Tribes path of Bible Institute and back to the field as a missionary clone. It is strange, my dad was a man in every sense of the word, yet he was the sensitive nurturing one of my parents. My mom came from a dysfunctional family, the only believer in her family, and she never seemed to connect emotionally with us kids. Her work was always more important. I don't remember ever sitting in her lap or reading a book when I was little or doing the special things that mothers do with children. In my all my years at Tambo and into my adult life until my parents retired, I never received a letter from my mother yet I received regular letters from my dad while I was at Tambo, in college, and married. I struggle to this day with my relationship with my mother, it seems so disconnected, and yet she is my mother, and now we are moving into a stage where I will have to at some point look out for her and take care of her. It feels awkward and strange. My father passed away many years ago.

But to change the subject -- MK's have a wonderful connection no matter where in the world they grew up. When I went to college all the MK's at the Christian liberal arts college I went to found each other and were friends before the first week was finished. We had a common heritage and so many similarities in the way we looked at things and interpretted them. I walked in not knowing a soul there, and immediately had friends who understood and were doing the same thing, all of us far from "home" without the normal support structure that the other kids had, but we all did well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:48 am 

Thanks for your comments, NTM Child. I am sorry, but I haven't been on in a while. I hope things are going well for you.

I think we are a fortunate to have eachother and this site.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:24 pm 

I did not attend Tambo, but was an MK in Bolivia when the school closed and many of the students and staff from Tambo came to the school I attended. Many of those students were good friends of mine.

I was wondering what the time frame was for the abuse perpetrated at Tambo? Was it a specific period of time or more of a persistent problem throughout the life of the school?

I was sexually abused by a leader in my parent's mission organization (not Tambo) and recently stumbled across information related to boarding school abuse in C&MA schools and further research led me here. I am overwhelmed to discover the extent of the problem and somewhat relieved to learn that I am not alone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:26 pm 

parent's mission organization (not Tambo)

Oops-I meant not NTM.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:30 pm 

Welcome, Bolivia MK. I hope someone from Bolivia will see your post and be able to answer you more specifically. I don't know when the last known case of abuse at Tambo was. But I know that historically, there was child abuse in NTM-Bolivia going all the way back into the 1950s. So it was severe and long-standing.

Yes, you are right. There is so much child abuse coming to light these days in the missions community world-wide. When you include physical, emotional and spiritual abuse as well as sexual abuse, the damage is overwhelming, and it is almost more than one can tolerate knowing about. In addition to NTM and C&MA, there are SIM and ABWE for sure, and I don't doubt MKs from other missions have their own horror stories to tell. This knowledge can be so heavy that sometimes people have stepped back from participation on this site just for their own emotional survival. Because life must go on.

I am not sure who from Bolivia is still reading on this site. Dbarney is the only one I can think of who is still posting. So we will see if she responds to your post. NTM is currently having an independent group called IHART (under Pat Hendrix) investigate child abuse on fields other than Senegal. The first school they are gathering information on is Vianapolis, East Brazil. Maybe they will tackle Tambo next.

It takes most abuse survivors several decades to find their voice and be ready to speak up about things that were done to them as innocent and vulnerable children. That is the reason many of the cases that have been exposed on this website happened back in the 70s, 80s and 90s. But given the condition of our fallen world today, there is no doubt in my mind that children in missionary families today are presently being abused in various ways.

We just don't know about it yet.

I am so sorry to hear that you too were sexually abused. You are definitely not alone. We welcome you and hope you will find validation and some measure of healing here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next