MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:08 pm 

We have already pointed out before, that there are examples and precedents set. There are other investigations of child abuse in which adult abusers are clearly named.

The GRACE report on NTM's school at Fanda, Senegal.

The PCUSA report on MK abuse by its missionaries.

The Penn State report.

And most recently, the report on abuse by ABWE's missionary doctor in Bangladesh, which named not only the doctor, but also many other individuals in the mission who bore some culpability.

We also posted recently that because of the publicity about ABWE's Dr Donn Ketcham, a child victim of his who was molested in Michigan has now come forward to file charges. Donn Ketcham can finally be held accountable by US law enforcement. It has been a painful reality for us that in the older cases of child abuse committed by NTM missionaries overseas, the abuser could not be charged for crimes unless they had victims here in the US as well. By refusing to publicly name their missionaries, NTM is protecting them from the possibility that Stateside victims could find out what they did to others overseas. It also keeps any other possible victims these people might have had, at any point along the way, of learning that others were also victimized by the person who abused them.

I cannot see how this reflects the spirit of Christ, when he spoke so vehemently about adults who hurt innocent children. In my opinion, child abusers do not deserve the mission's protection. Even if they are already deceased, they do not deserve protection. Their heinous deeds should still be exposed. A child victim is no less worthy of validation because his or her perpetrator is no longer living. I feel very strongly about this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:10 pm 

Raz wrote:
I hope that Tambo MKs will speak up here and tell us how this investigation and this report has affected them.

Oh probably not going to happen:

If an MK believes that NTM/IHART has taken care of things, then there is no need to speak up and I strongly suspect many MKs have been fed the line that "everything has been taken care of".

If on the other hand an MK feels betrayed, tricked or hurt again, then why trust anyone else with their story, that's a perfectly legitimate reaction.

There is a small core of posters on this excellent site, who keep NTM under notice. Anecdotal evidence says that there is a wide range of readers, including many in NTM.

Somehow I don't think Fanda Eagles is on NTM's top ten of recommended reading. Pity. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:35 pm 

Raz wrote:
We have already pointed out before, that there are examples and precedents set. There are other investigations of child abuse in which adult abusers are clearly named.

The GRACE report on NTM's school at Fanda, Senegal.

The PCUSA report on MK abuse by its missionaries.

The Penn State report.

And most recently, the report on abuse by ABWE's missionary doctor in Bangladesh, which named not only the doctor, but also many other individuals in the mission who bore some culpability.

We also posted recently that because of the publicity about ABWE's Dr Donn Ketcham, a child victim of his who was molested in Michigan has now come forward to file charges. Donn Ketcham can finally be held accountable by US law enforcement. It has been a painful reality for us that in the older cases of child abuse committed by NTM missionaries overseas, the abuser could not be charged for crimes unless they had victims here in the US as well. By refusing to publicly name their missionaries, NTM is protecting them from the possibility that Stateside victims could find out what they did to others overseas. It also keeps any other possible victims these people might have had, at any point along the way, of learning that others were also victimized by the person who abused them.

I cannot see how this reflects the spirit of Christ, when he spoke so vehemently about adults who hurt innocent children. In my opinion, child abusers do not deserve the mission's protection. Even if they are already deceased, they do not deserve protection. Their heinous deeds should still be exposed. A child victim is no less worthy of validation because his or her perpetrator is no longer living. I feel very strongly about this.

Absolutely disgusting!! NTM is protecting rapists. Oh they won't let in a gay man, that would be against the word of God, but if one of theirs rapes a little boy or girl, no worries, it just gets swept under the carpet!
NTM is the perfect example what is wrong with America! As long as you're white, straight, say you believe in God, you can get away with whatever you like if you call yourself a missionary and commit your crimes overseas! And Americans wonder why the hell not everyone in the world likes them and some boil over with hate. Well, duh, it's really obvious.
And it ain't going to get better, look who just got elected and the past he has!!!

Hells bells, tie me tits in a tangle, I've upset a few now! Oh but I've heard much worse from godly tribers as they knock the beejeezez out of some poor kid, because they were having a bad day!

Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:11 pm 

Some revealing posts from this website:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=415
Sep 28, 2010
MK MINDA wrote:
I was molested by a single man missionary in Paraguay who later went on to work in Tambo. I had never told anyone until the past few weeks...45 years later! What a SMOOTH, CHARMING perpetrator he was indeed to keep his victim silent for so long. NO more. After I heard that he had worked in Tambo I was alarmed and found out there was at least one victim there. I simply CAN'T believe that was all. I can't help but think he also had more victims in Paraguay. This is an addiction with these people that call themselves human beings. We need for others to come forward and make this person ACCOUNTABLE for his sin.

I am BEYOND angered that this person is on FACEBOOK and making friends with many of mine. Most of them are clueless that he is a pedophile, and some know and still don't seem to care.

Oct 06, 2010
Emerald wrote:
MK Minda, it sounds like you may be referring to RICHARD HINE---he's in the UK. He did sexually molest a victim at Tambo, and was dismissed by NTM. His FB says he was with NTM 15 yrs. Pedophiles don't stop at one victim, so there must be more of you out there that can tell us about RICHARD HINE.

viewtopic.php?f=19&p=3154#p3154
Oct 18, 2010
Tambo MK wrote:
Gene Long wrote:
Emerald wrote:
MK Minda, it sounds like you may be referring to RICHARD HINE---he's in the UK. He did sexually molest a victim at Tambo, and was dismissed by NTM. His FB says he was with NTM 15 yrs. Pedophiles don't stop at one victim, so there must be more of you out there that can tell us about RICHARD HINE.

Rich Hine was dismissed from Bolivia in 1991. Was he reported to the authorities?

Shortly after this, Bob and Chris Fisher were also dismissed from Bolivia. Does anyone know the circimstances surrounding this?

New Tribes never publishes the reasons for dismissal, but from comparing information on this site with published statements from NTM, it seems like adultery and child molestation are the main reasons for dismissal.

I was at Tambo when Rich Hine was dismissed and sent back to England. Originally, not even the rest of the staff were told what he had done or who it was to. It was only said that he had a sin issue and was no longer going to be the director of the school or be a dorm parent; he would be a teacher and live in one of the houses by himself. After the NTM headquarters in Florida read the monthly report from Bolivia, they notified the field office in Bolivia that he had 24 hours to get out of Tambo, which resulted in a massive scene with him sobbing in front of the school saying why he didn't understand what was going on, etc. Nothing was ever explained to the students about what had happened, only some ever found out because they were staff kids and their parents finally heard through the grapevine.

When he was sent back to England, nothing was said to his supporting churches to explain why he left the field (I met his pastor several years after he was dismissed) and he was basically ignored by the NTM offices in England (I'm not sure they even knew what had happened). He lived at the time (1994/1995) in a town about fifteen minutes from the NTM Bible institute in England but I never saw him. There certainly weren't any charges brought against him to my knowledge - the pastor would have told me about it. He seemed genuinely confused at why NTM had nothing to do with him any more.

The Fishers went on furlough and just never came back. Nothing was said to the students at all about him, and other than some whispers from kids who had heard from their parents (field committee, etc.), nothing was heard. There were whispers that he had been kicked out, but most students were generally mystified at why and hated NTM for it. A little information would have gone a long way handling the situation a lot better.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=415&start=20
Oct 19, 2010
mosquito bite wrote:
When we were naive students at NTBI we met RH. He was on his way to Bolivia (1980) and he was fondly reminiscing about his years in Paraguay with the Les Pedersons. We don't know what Les knew about RH's stint in Paraguay. (They were going for field conference every year at that point and were well-connected.)

RH eventually was the Principal at Tambo and the SINGLE dorm parent for the 10-14 yr old boys. Several parents complained more than once about not having a couple as dorm parents and they were ignored.

The Tambo Committee when RH was dismissed was Al Lotz, Walt Durfey, RH himself and we don't remember who else.

There was talk of sexual molestation of boys in the Bob Fisher case. We cannot substantiate this.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=355&start=100
Jan 27, 2012
blond wrote:
I attended tambo during those years (1988-1990). At the time, there was a staff that used to put his hand up my blouse. That situation was very difficult for me because I used to feel very guilty, because I thought it was I who caused the situation. After a while it stopped, but the daughter of the staff, hardly ever spoke to me again and also I heard she hated me for trying to break up her parent's marriage...... horrendous no? I can say, yes there was extreme abuse in tambo, not only mental, but also physical. I cry through all the posts of the victims.... tambo was supposed to be safe.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=355&start=150
Mar 01, 2012
quote="blond"]THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT THINGS I EVER DID IN MY LIFE. I CAME ACROSS THIS FORUM NOT LONG AGO, AND HAVE SPENT, SINCE THEN, HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS READING THROUGH ALL THE THREADS, THROUGH ALL THE PAGES, READING THESE TERRIBLE STORIES, CRYING MOST OF THE TIME, SPECIALLY WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT FRIENDS WHO I HAD BEEN IN THE SAME DORM, HAD BEEN HURT; LITTLE KIDS WERE HURT, YOUNG BOYS WERE HURT, IT IS NOT HEARTBREAKING, IT IS HEART SLAUGHTERING!!!!!! MY DISAPPOINTMENT OF TAMBO AND ITS PEOPLE AND THE MISSION ITSELF WAS SO BIG! I ALREADY DISLIKED TAMBO FOR PERSONAL REASONS, BUT NOW.... I WAS IN TAMBO THE YEARS 1987-1990, I WAS NOT AN MK, MY FAMILY AND I CAME FROM BRAZIL. MY NAME IS IONE K. BETTI C. I WAS SEXUALLY ABUSED BY PAUL GESS DURING THE TIME I WAS THERE. I HAD ALREADY POSTED HIS NAME ON THE LIST, AS BLOND. THE ONLY REASON THAT I AM POSTING THIS WITH MY REAL NAME, IS BECAUSE I NOW KNOW I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE TO BE ABUSED BY PAUL GESS. THERE ARE OTHERS AND BY DOING THIS, I HOPE THAT THE OTHER VICTIMS WILL COME FORWARD. IT IS SICK TO KNOW THAT A PERSON YOU TRUSTED AND LOOKED UP TO IS SO TWISTED - PEDOPHILE. I KNOW HE WAS IN CHARGE OF THE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS DORM 1996 IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN, SO THERE'S PROBABLY A LOT MORE TO INVESTIGATE. PLEASE VICTIMS, COME FORWARD! WE CAN MAKE THIS RIGHT!!!! I KNOW IT'S HARD. IT WAS HARD FOR ME. I KNOW IT'S SCARY, IT WAS SCARY FOR ME. I KNOW ALL THE FEELINGS... BUT WE HAVE TO BE BRAVE AND MAKE THE SINS OF THIS MAN KNOW TO ALL!!!! BE COURAGEOUS!!!! LOTS OF LOVE TO YOU ALL OUT THERE!

IONE BETTI[/quote]

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=355&start=140
Feb 26, 2012
Batty wrote:
I, too, went to Tambo, but it was before most of you that are here. When I first arrived, in the 1950's, it wasn't long before I felt the urge to avoid one of the staff men. Actually, I think he was the principal at the time. I was only 10 and like most kids at that age quite naive, but I felt an aversion to him the first time I met him. I worked at staying out of his way. It was several years later that I heard rumors he may have molested some of the girls, but it was only rumor - always hushed up. Only this year did I get confirmation that yes, he had molested several of the high school girls, and attempted to molest more; raping at least one of them. His family, and the family of the rape victim, all left Bolivia and never returned. He left NTM and went on to pastor a church back in the U.S. - and died several years ago....
Since this happened almost 60 years ago and the perpetrator is dead, there's no need to post his name; it would only bring pain to his family. But it shows that this has gone on much longer than any of us imagined.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=896&start=70
Feb 02, 2012
blond wrote:
... as you will understand, this sort of things just boggles ones mind.... and one gets overwhelmed by the anger...., and the impotence of not being able to go back and get even with the abusive person. I have to confess I am still bitter and angry about what happened to my sister. Also, I always thought likewise, that no adult has no right to expose a child's anatomy. And Susan Major had her bend over and drop her pants....

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=470&start=150
Feb 26, 2012
Posted by nonntmformermk
I have never had an apology from Susan Majors. ... Yes, what she did was abusive. Yes, I remember the shock and shame of it. I remember the belt buckle. I remember that hallway between the school rooms, and putting my hands on the desk, and the late afternoon sun, and not understanding what I had done that was so wrong. I remember hiding the bruise and being embarrassed when another girl saw it. I remember being scared of showing it to Mr. Gess, because he made me feel strange. Having a daughter who is now the age I was, I feel anger too. But it wasn't just that beating. It was the constant feeling of keeping things to yourself. Teased by other kids? Keep quiet. Food tastes bad? Keep quiet. Wet your bed? Keep quiet. Dorm parents uninvolved or mean or unfair? Keep quiet. School too hard or you don't understand something? Keep quiet. Keep your chin up. Square your shoulders. Smile. Practice piano. Hide your tears. Don't be homesick. Sing your song. Clear your plate. Do your chores. Dress nicely for church. Don't squirm when Mr. Gess rubs your arm in chapel, making it sore. Obey the rules, even the ones you don't know. Don't ask. Don't tell. Internalize, internalize, internalize. It wasn't just the spankings. Not for me. Not that one from Mrs. Majors, not the one from Mr. Hines for playing in the camper that I didn't know we weren't allowed to play in. Not the one from Mr. Mayer for not knowing my 5x's tables. Those were rough, especially for a "good kid" like myself, but it was the over-arching feeling of being utterly alone. In the midst of a crowd....utterly alone.
I've gone through hard times in life....times even harder than my 4th, 5th and 6th grade years at Tambo...I don't wallow in those years, I don't let them make me bitter, I refuse to give those years more prominence in my life story than they should hold, but I also will not let that time there be something that I keep hidden. I wasn't hurt as badly as so many others were. My "story" isn't as bad as some other people's stories. But if I can share mine, even through the tears, and if it can help someone else feel free enough to tell theirs....well then, it is worth it.

As for what I need from Susan Majors and NTM....I'd like an apology. But not only to me. I'd like one to all of those kids who are now adults (and it wasn't just my generation...I was appalled to learn that she had spanked my aunts and uncles before me). I'd like the mission to say "we screwed up". Yes, they were there doing a good work. Yes, God's message was spread, lives were changed, souls were saved. I would not undo that work for anything. But there needs to be an acknowledgement that in the midst of all that good, there were very, very bad things going on as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:28 am 

There is some history to make one cry.
And there is most likely much more.
:cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:32 am 

Very very bad things.
Does ntm care?
No.
They let it continue just in that one place for 60 years!
The cumulative blame on all those leaders is HUGE.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:31 am 

mosquito bite wrote:
There is some history to make one cry.
And there is most likely much more.
:cry:

Oh yes, there is more. Much more.

Ernie Kreitz is one who has not been discussed in detail here in the Forums.

But I know one of his victims.

Ernie Kreitz raped boys.

And utterly destroyed their lives.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:23 pm 

From pg 1 of the Tambo report. (Insertions in italics.)

New Tribes Mission USA commissioned the Bolivia investigation for the following reasons:

• To understand the truth about what happened to children on the Bolivia field, knowing that this understanding would help keep other children safe;

Question: Who is it in NTM USA who is supposed to now understand the truth about what happened to children on the Bolivia field? The readers of the summary report are certainly not going to come anywhere near understanding the truth, since the report does not adequately convey the truth. Who is it in NTM USA that now has truthful knowledge of the full scope of what happened to hundreds of children, and the names of the missionaries who hurt those children? Anyone? Anyone?

• To value MKs and the suffering that many have endured by giving victims/survivors (V/S) an avenue to tell their story;

Yes, many MKs indeed suffered much in Bolivia. Do you think they feel valued now? You asked them to trust you and tell their story. And then what? They now find their suffering has been rationalized and minimized, and in many cases disregarded on the basis of "preponderance of evidence". The adults who caused them lifelong pain have been shielded and protected by you. They feel about as valued as they always have. Which is not at all. They were the child sacrifices offered up by their parents for the sake of your mission. You said you were following Christ's great commission, but in so doing, you ignored the words he spoke about his little ones.

• To provide a means for counseling or other support services for any V/S who desire it;

Your offer to financially cover counseling for MKs who meet your qualifications and stipulations has been helpful to some. But what many readers do not know is that there is a limit to your generosity; a cap to your aid. Child abuse victims are supposed to get better, darn it. If an MK is going to be sick or needy or emotionally unbalanced for the rest of their life, well then, that is just asking too much! (Sarcasm intended.)

• To remove any perpetrators who might still be current members from its midst and hold people accountable;

Hold people accountable? How is anyone supposed to know if you have really followed through on this, NTM? Don't you think your own members would like to know this, as well as all the rest of us? You didn't even give a number on how many current members with findings that required dismissal were actually dismissed, let alone give any names. (pg 24 of the report) Where is your accountability on this, as a mission?

• To analyze organizational and leadership environments to identify possible root causes of how abuse occurred, and identify ways for NTM to improve organizationally;

I applaud you for saying that you want to identify possible root causes for the abuse that went on in Bolivia. I have not been in the mission now for many years, so I cannot express an opinion about how well the mission is doing in addressing these root causes. Much has been written in these forums about the unhealthy and abusive mission environment of decades past. I do hope things are different now.

• To comply with appropriate legal standards; and

• To make reports to law enforcement.

We now know this is pretty pointless, as far as any hope that legal action will be taken here in America against missionary child abusers from long ago. But I do wonder how thick that file is getting, and what those people at that police station are saying about this mission organization that wounded so many of its own children.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:31 pm 

On this dreary Sunday afternoon, I do actually have something positive to report.

I can no longer find Paul Gess or Susan Major on NTM's membership list on their website!

When I had checked a few weeks back, they were still there, and that was upsetting to me. But now they are gone.

It is my heartfelt hope that this will in some small way ease the pain carried for decades by the Tambo students who were subjected to sexual inappropriateness by Paul Gess, or who suffered great hurt and humiliation under the cruel and sadistic hand of Susan Major.

At long last, NTM. This is a step we have been waiting for.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:33 pm 

Unless you didn't actually dismiss them, but simply required them to resign, like you did Gary Earl.

Maybe someone else has information on this?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next