[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - The silent majority

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The silent majority
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:25 pm 

Please hear what I have to say. I think after this post I will finish reading and writing on the Fanda Eagles blog, because some of the things the onlookers say are so off-base that they are hurtful. I feel like many are determined to be one-sided. When did this website become a place for anyone who has had a grievance against NTM to get together and bash NTM? Do you realize that when you throw unnecessary dirt at an organization like this that it is comprised of members of the body of Christ (and yes, some of the accusations ARE necessary, but let's keep it only to the necessary!)? I am NOT saying we should hide what happened. I am NOT saying it never happened. I am NOT saying to move on prematurely. But I am saying that there are some excellent things about New Tribes Mission.

NTM is a para-church organization. We, as NTM missionaries and candidates, represent our local sending church. That is why NTM is never going to be a cult if they continue in the direction they are headed. NTM is an organization that is used by the local church to do what local churches don't know how to do--reach unreached people groups. This task is complex and involves specific training. Thus, NTM serves the church by providing a way for them to reach the unreached. They have not always operated in this way, but the important thing is that they are now operating this way. If you want to bash NTM, you're going to have to criticize the way they used to be and not the way they are currently.

As for NTM "repenting," Gene, I don't understand why you don't believe it is genuine. I can truly say that I believe their repentance is genuine. And I am on the inside. I have seen it. In the last two months, I have seen everyone between missionaries hot off the field to executive board members who are broken at what has taken place. Many of you are reading only about what they have done in the past and of course, these things were terribly wrong. But NTM is admitting that and they are changing. Gene, why don't you just go ahead and keep saying that your brothers and sisters in Christ are lying to my face and I'm too naive to realize that's what they're doing? Because when you say they only have fake repentance, that's what it means in my life.

In 1997, new leaders were appointed in NTM, and they have sought to make the organization more "grace-based." We all want to be judged based on who are today, and not by our past. I just want the readers of this post to know that I am not with NTM because I have faith in the mission itself. I don't. My faith is in God. If they hadn't been responding to the GRACE report the way they have been then I would have left. But I am an MK who was also abused (not by NTM, but another organization), and I choose to remain with NTM because I have personally seen that they have changed. Don't you think my standards for their change would be higher than someone's who wasn't abused? NTM is a means to an end for me (reaching the unreached people groups) and they are an effective way to meet my goals. And what I see on this blog by many posters is largely biased against them. Please look at the other side of the story. If there are still missionaries within NTM who are ignorant of this situation, that is because of their own personal choice. NTM has informed us all of the situation and asked us to read the GRACE report--even the missionary candidates.

If you focus only on the negative, you lose credibility. Focus on the facts. And they are: NTM abused MKs and missionaries due to the environment that the leadership created. NTM continued in this way for some time, until the leadership repented. NTM is no longer this way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for your thoughts, Forgotten MK. You say you haven't yet finished reading the Fanda Eagles blog? Maybe that will shed more light on the current state of affairs. If in fact NTM has repented, it is a recent change of heart, and we have absolutely no reason to trust in words or tears right now, but we wait for action.

I personally met several times with the current leadership of NTM and had a year long email communication with them. I supplied documentation that proved that NTM knew about my sexual abuser and covered it up, expecting outrage. None was forthcoming. In fact the current leaders of NTM told me there was nothing else they could do, so fandaeagles.com was started to show what else could be done. I want to reiterate, I hit a wall with NTM in 2009, and the blog was my last hope at achieving resolution outside of a court of law. It has never been about money for me, but about protecting other innocents. This is not a matter of the past leadership vs the present. This is about present leadership.

Only under the pressure of the popularity of the blog was GRACE retained to investigate. My point is, is this repentance? Or is it sorrow that their sin is being found out? Only time will tell. Again, we have NO reason to trust NTM at this time and based on their track record wisdom would tell us not to. I sincerely hope time and action will prove otherwise.

Quotes by GRACE on their facebook page:

Words & Tears = Inauthentic Repentance / Transformation = True Repentance

Those who grieve loss of position or reputation love themselves more than their God. Such is not authentic repentance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:27 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:36 pm 

Let me add that, as far as I know, the extent of official "repentance" from NTM has consisted of some very carefully worded statements on their web site. Until Larry Brown and other members of the Executive Board personally stand before a press conference and announce what they claim has been done and clearly identify the abusers, I'm going to remain skeptical that anything has really changed.

I agree with Kari that there needs to be a lot more transperancy and openess.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:26 pm 

This is exactly what I am talking about--This blog does not state the positive things that NTM is doing. Did you know that NTM referred their financial supporters to the GRACE report? Did you know that they notified pastors from every church that supports NTM of the GRACE report? Did you know that all NTM members were asked to read the report? How are these actions opaque? I met a couple today whose sole job right now is to talk to NTM members about the GRACE report and the implications of it. Did you know that NTM is continuing to hire GRACE to make other investigations into other schools? The Child Protection class at NTM's Missionary Training Center is a three week, extensive course! I would think that there would be a list on this website composed actions such as these that you can applaud yourselves for taking part in the good that is coming about in NTM! I am sure that few who read this blog are aware of facts such as these--because few talk extensively about the good. It's scary for those who do point out the good, because they are accused of not desiring justice for the MKs. I know that NTM has negative things about their past. But that doesn't mean there is no good at all, and it doesn't give anyone the right to raise points that are untrue to make the situation look worse.

Gene, of course I know child abuse has a negative tint. I was abused as a child. I'm not feeling too positive about that. BUT, those who choose to ignore good things when they are presented to them are dangerous, just as NTM was dangerous in ignoring the bad things that were presented to them. All purposeful igNORance of facts is wrong.

PS
Kari, sorry if I came across saying I hadn't read the blog. I've done quite a bit of reading on the blog and the Facebook page. I have also, of course, read the GRACE report. What I meant was that I will discontinue reading if I see the focus is only on the negative. I have been hurt many times by reading comments that state things such as those who support NTM only ignore the abuse and try to cover up for the mission, or that we're members of a cult. I realize that not everybody posts like this, but many do, and they are encouraged to do so, while those who post the good things of NTM are not always as free from public shame. I would also like your permission to start praying for you, by name. I'd rather not go into the details of the abuse I experienced, but I often find myself thanking God that sexual abuse was not included in the list. I can't imagine what you've gone through. Thank you for starting this blog. It actually helped me come to grips with my own abuse and finally admit (to my husband) that I had been abused. I've never told anyone until this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:39 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

No, NTM is not disclosing to us who they are sharing the report with, and it is still not being shared on the public page of NTM's website. Why wouldn't it be, if they are so transparent?

Why wouldn't we know who they were sharing it with? Why wouldn't they cc us on the emails, or share them with us? How do we know the report is actually being shared? Who are they accountable to? Where did you hear the report was being shared?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:54 pm 

I sent an email to Ultimato yesterday. Haven't received an answer. If I don't get one soon, I'll send a letter snail mail.

I sent an email to Dr. Scott Moreau who is mentioned in the Christianity Today site. He sent me this answer:
"Thank you for expressing your concerns; you are not the first nor will you likely the last. For what it is worth, in the context, I responded to what Sarah (the reporter) asked—which was how often does this come up and whether CT should follow up with a more full story. I have about five or six CT writers asking me such questions on a regular basis and answer them as I have time. I’m not a reporter so I don’t control what they do with my responses.

I thought the Sarah would be eventually writing an article for the print version rather than posting it as a blog with no other quotes. She did ask if she could quote me, and I gave permission, but again I did not know I’d be the only person who was approached and how indifferent the response would sound with no further contexting for what I was actually asked.

The response does make me sound callus, which I am not. However, I’ve found from experience that trying to straighten it out generates a new set of responses and counter responses, and chose not to pursue the matter further. You may have noticed in the posted replies that one person says she e-mailed me and that I sounded to her as though I was not very concerned about it, so I am learning that even responding privately does not guarantee that perceptions of the correspondence will be the same by both parties (how well can we truly perceive something from a few e-mail exchanges when we don’t even know each other?). Because of that experience, I ask that you please not post this nor pass it on to others. Again, not because I don’t care but because I’ve seen that it does not resolve things for any of the victims.

I hope I’m not being too bold but I would expand your statement to say that abuse of any kind should not happen to ANY children, not just to MKs. I KNOW you are not indifferent to non-MK children, but taken from its context your statement could be taken by a reporter and made it look as indifferent as mine did. My point is that you can see how things can be taken from one context and put into another in ways that we never intended in the first place".

I'm thinking of sending an email to Sarah the reporter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:57 pm 

Forgotten MK - I appreciate your giving us all an update on what is happening within NTM. Please know that we do not know these steps NTM is taking unless you or someone like you informs us.

I, for one, want to believe that NTM is truly changing - not just putting out fires. I have reason to be skeptical. I’ve personally seen NTM makes steps towards change and then have them once again drop the ball and nothing long-lasting results.

You have been hurt by some calling NTM a cult – well, the type of leadership that was in place in Senegal was definitely cult-ish. Follow the leader at all costs and never question them. All the secrets; keep everything hush-hush. Fear to be real and fear to be lead by God in your decisions. Get permission from the leaders for everything – home life, ministry work, schooling, education, finances, leaving the tribe, supply runs, when to go see your own children – that style was a cult-like and missionaries who left there had to either go through spiritual debriefing from a healthy Christian counselor or organization or, unfortunately, as many did, leave their faith completely.

Do you know if any of your fellow NTMers have contracted Kari Mikitson, Bonnie Clingerman or others? I’ve seen that asked elsewhere and the answer is a resounding NO! Even Dan Rabe, present leader in Senegal who knows both Kari and Bonnie personally has not said one word to them since this report came out.
Don’t you think he would have called or emailed them and said something along the lines of how devastated he is the extent of the abuse they suffered? How can the repentant hearts of NTM b e believed without movement towards those so wounded?

So, Forgotten MK, we need your updates. Where else are we getting this information? I have gotten more information from your psots on what is happening inside NTM than anywhere else. You open the door a crack to where I can hope that NTM may truly “get it” this time. I will still wait to see – the calls and emails from the present NTM Senegal to all those wounded will be a huge start to my believing…

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:02 pm 

I honestly don't know why they haven't told you that. I assumed they had...but I can think of one reason why they don't just publicly notify everyone of what they're doing. I would be concerned if their method was to say, "Look at the good we're doing about this!" That would concern me. I roll my eyes when I walk into Wal-Mart and I'm notified of all their charity projects. I wonder if they're doing good so they look good. I wonder if they would still do the good if no one knew. But it does make sense for them to talk to you about it...not really sure what's up with that. I'll ask around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next