MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Spiritual abuse
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:47 am 

A friend of mine (who is also an MK) posted this on Facebook. Seems to me, it goes well here.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their consciences.” –C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:56 pm 

Here's another good one that I ran across last night:

"We have a strange illusion that mere time cancels sin. But mere time does nothing either to the fact or to the guilt of a sin." C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

I thought of it in light of those who don't want to deal with sin that happened "so long ago."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

These are awesome quotes. The Problem of Pain was very instrumental in my path towards healing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:12 pm 

Spiritual abuse seems to be like the unpardonable sin. Jesus had his harshest criticism for the religious leaders of his day. He openly mocked and challenged them. He got mad as all get out when they used religion for their own personal gain, to satisfy their own lusts, to make themselves look good, while using Gods name to justify what they were doing and saying. To sexually abuse a child in Gods name is so sickening I want to throw up just thinking about it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:35 pm 

MK Sheri,

Thank you for recommending the book The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse by David Johnson and Jeff Van Vonderen. It has been very helpful for me. One quote in particular was convicting, encouraging, and confirming to me of what I should do now.

"Fighting the fight of faith does not mean getting aggressive. It does not take money, status, an education, or the ability to speak. It takes dependence upon God. Just hold on to God, and tell the truth. This is God's fight."

I join MK Sheri in recommending this book. It put words to what we were feeling while we were going through our conflict with NTM leadership, and since we have resigned.