[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Is it even possible to comment on leadership abuse here?

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:21 pm 

Here's a great article about the whole underlying issues of the privileges of power and how it relates to abuse:

Very good read - and check out the comments too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:57 pm 

Good article! I thought this illustration was very well phrased: "So if I abused Lisa, I suspect that there will be enough people who, if they get a whiff of the story, will look past it, or ignore it, or disregard it, or forgive me and let it go, or dismiss it, because they appreciate the work I’m doing. My hope is that they would realize I’m just a man with my own needs, and that sometimes in moments of weakness I do bad things just like they do. I would accept some responsibility, but I will somehow portray myself as a victim who acted out of my own deep need for love and understanding, and that I was desperately trying to stay alive personally and professionally. I would also suggest that to take me down would be to take down the important mission I’m on, and we don’t want that. I would also remind people to not believe false reports, but if they did they should forgive me so I could get back to my calling. I think most people would because I already have a space in their heads and hearts. Lisa, on the other hand, is unknown to them so she has no leeway. "

And then this in the comments section: "I would add that we leaders have the privilege of using the 'I know something but I cannot tell you' card ... Wherever there is power, including politics, the 'secret information' card is used as a conversation stopper." Been there, heard that. But you know what? Truth doesn't need protected, God's reputation doesn't need protected, and sin SHOULD NOT BE protected (I'd make a terrible politician).

I have spent the majority of my 20 years with NTM working in the US, and have had many opportunities to observe many in other ministries, in addition to my NTM co-workers. And perhaps that is why this comment got my attention: "I finally got to the point ... that I started seeing pastors as people who don't live in a real world and have little to teach me concerning being a Christian in the real world." In my opinion, that is just as powerful a statement as the original article. After all, if those in ministry cannot relate to the "real world" then do they really have a ministry -- or do they just fulfill a position?? The litmus test, for me, comes in two areas.
#1 The (preacher/missionary) has spent their entire adult working career in 'ministry' and cannot relate to the average working person. The concept of commuting to work, mandatory overtime, punching a time clock, or only getting the 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years days off as holidays is totally foreign. And if you take a day off, you don't get paid for it? How unreasonable is that?!
#2 If you need more money (and who doesn't think they do??) then it's time to "share your needs" as "prayer requests." I actually heard an NTM missionary say, "If you need something, you just have to squeeze your supporters a bit harder."

I don't intend to be harsh. I'm of the opinion that one can be a realist without being jaded. One can legitimately observe and draw conclusions without having a critical attitude. These are my conclusions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:13 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:53 pm 

That is an excellent article!

The sense of privilege and entitlement that was part of being in NTM has only become obvious to me after stepping away ... far away ... for a long period of time.

:(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 am 

A high up Triber is jailed for sex offences and leadership tells Tribers that he is off the field for "mental health" reasons.

Problem 1. Leadership has lied.
Question 1. Why.

So this then causes another problem. Surely this well known and useful Triber is visited by concerned other Tribers, to see how he is doing, right? And when they go to see him, he isn't home, because he is in jail.

Problem 2. The concerned Tribers then lie or are told more lies about his whereabouts?
or Problem 2a. No one cares about the jailed Triber enough to bother going to see him or his family.
Question 2/2a. Why lie or why did no one care enough?

Problem 3. There seems to be a staggering loss of memory by Tribers involved with this situation, or there is a lot of lies being told.

Therefore the big question is. How much of the info coming out of NTM and the self investigation is credible, given the above?

My contention is VERY LITTLE!

Either there is a carefully woven web of deceit to cover up this mess or Tribers are so uncaring that they do not care for their own in anyway shape or form. The latter is disproved by social media records, which only leaves the obvious, lying and deceit is acceptable policy to ensure a coverup.

Conclusion to be drawn by any rational thinking person themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:56 pm 

True and Sad
Many of us have been cast aside when we are no longer of any use.
Or if we are really valuable, but do not hold all the views of the "leaders."
They seem to want to be right rather than to be advised.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:39 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:11 pm 

Here's another good article on dealing with allegations of abuse:

It's about a specific case (actually the same case as the previous article I posted, but more specific in this one), but it does point out some of the underlying issues that arise when trying to deal with allegations and abuse by those that are close to us. The comments also have a lot of good information.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:27 pm 

I will never believe NTM is serious about truth until they are willing to openly and honestly state names of people who abused, no hiding, no saying one thing privately but the opposite openly, no maneuvering, manipulation, willfull ignorance. For those of you from NTM, anything less is an insult and despicable. Hold your leaders accountable and stop being spineless. There is enough evidence to support the fact that abuse was prevalent and was deliberately covered. Those actions are not mercy but enablement.the next step is lawsuits.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:29 am 

I find those who have position and privilege, which is often pushed on them by fans, but instead of using it do the opposite. Often in little things. They are few and far between and you will notice them by their servant attitude. Sadly they often don't make it to the top. I believe many missions started out to serve and have become something to be served. I believe as humans we want to associate with the privileged to make ourselves feel better about ourselves. I think this is what holds a lot of people's loyalty to missions and churches. Missions and churches reinforce this by making people feel useless unless they are following the leaders regardless who evil they might be. Will the missuse of privilege even change?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next