Home > Documentation > To Kari from CPC 2009

To Kari from CPC 2009

Response to Kari M’s request for information.

date Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:57 PM
subject Some new information
mailed-by ntm.org
Kari,
I will try to get the paper trail on this but so far it looks like your dad wrote to the field (they remember it but didn’t find the letter) and told them about the abuse. There were no details and they had a hard time believing it and felt like your dad was using that as a way to vindicate his reason for not going to the tribe. Evidently, in about 1989, your dad called someone here in the States and said that you were in counseling and the abuse story came out. (It wasn’t clear whether you told your folks about the abuse and then went to counseling , or you went to counseling and the story came out.) Three men sat down with Dave B here in the States and confronted him. He finally confessed to some involvement in abuse with you and a couple of others. Your dad also said that the counselor had alerted the authorities regarding Dave B. Since the authorities had already been alerted by the counselor, NTM did not report him at that time. NTM did know from your dad that you were in counseling. I’m not sure whether or not they contacted your parents – possibly I will find out a bit more about that when I receive the documents that Scott Ross sent to Sanford.

Dave B was later reported to the authorities again by NTM both in Florida and Georgia in about 1997. According to what I’ve read from the material sent from Senegal – it seems that the information from the meeting here in the States with Dave B ‘s confession, was not relayed to the field until much later. That is hard to believe but that is what I’m hearing. Dave B was dismissed from NTM at the time of his confession.

Scott Ross had told me in the past, that NTM has an open policy regarding people looking at personal files. Scott confirmed to me today that we do indeed have an open policy but it requires someone to personally look at the files at NTM Headquarters. If they want a copy of something it can be made for them at that time. The same applies to any field committee minutes that may be in the files at Sanford. However, If you want to see information regarding you and your family, that is in the files on a field, they can show that to you there. I am sorry that I did not understand this from the beginning. As I mentioned, I took the open policy to mean that I could send you anything from here.

Read more documentation

Categories: Documentation Tags:
  1. Diane Mikitson
    October 20th, 2010 at 00:23 | #1

Rochelle – Unfortunately, this is the story of our lives for over 20 years. i hope you are in contact with Kari and /or Bonnie. They tackled this on their own for a couple years.

Have you considered working together with other victims to have a united voice and be intentional in your persistence in calling NTM? GRACE is very aware of the past pattern of Scott Ross and other personnel. We all should expect NTM to accelerate handling the other schools and abuse issues. They have a plan now. However, Kari and Bonnie seemed to have to prod NTM every step of the way. It is now your turn. You are strong and I believe in you!

2. Rochelle Brents
    October 19th, 2010 at 23:30 | #2

Back in 2002, I got up my courage (along with another abused friend from Aritao, Philippines) and we started making phone calls to Scott Ross questioning where Les Emory was and if he was in prison or at least on Megan’s list. Scott never followed through with what he said. He clearly told me he would e-mail me with all the info regarding Les Emory’s case. I waited and waited …. and waited. When I called back to question why it was taking so long he told me over the phone and I quote,

“I don’t have time for this now, I am dealing with 50 other cases of child molesters within NTM.” – Scott Ross

At least he was honest… but this is yet another reason to not trust his ability to follow through and handle abuse correctly.

3. Gene Long
    August 31st, 2009 at 22:51 | #3

From the CPC letter to Kari: “The same applies to any field committee minutes that may be in the files at Sanford. However, If you want to see information regarding you and your family, that is in the files on a field, they can show that to you there.”

I wrote the NTM Field Committee on 1 August 2009 requesting an appointment to view my personal files and Field Committee minutes with references to me, my wife or my children when they were minors.

As of today, 1 September 2009, they have not answered me, even though I have proof from the Post Office that the letter was delivered.

I would not take anything too seriously regarding what Scott Ross says.

4. Anon
    July 1st, 2009 at 13:55 | #4

per ron abrams letter to john and diane mikitson dated april 14, 1999 “Dave B. resigned from the mission for other reasons. The case was dropped, we did not at that time understand or consider what Dave had done to be sexual abuse.”

ummm…EXCUSE ME!?!

5. R Kamara
    July 1st, 2009 at 13:55 | #5

If, at my job over the last 3 yrs, I had not sucessfully repaired a single one of the 10 water leaks in my hotel I can promise you I would have been fired long ago.

6. Greg
    July 1st, 2009 at 13:55 | #6

just a little tip, I would not take anything too seriously regarding what scott ross says. He has numerously said things to myself and my family,and never followed up on what he has said. He is extremely incompentent in helping my family, and I dont trust him as far as I could throw him. Sincerly Greg Burke

7. Joie
    July 1st, 2009 at 13:54 | #7

yet in the above email “Brooks was dismissed from NTM at the time of his confession.”

i really want to know which it is.

1. No trackbacks yet.